New guidance published to help employers close their gender pay gap
On 8 February 2019, the Government Equalities Office (GEO) published two sets of guidance to help employers close their gender pay gaps; 'Eight ways to understand your gender pay gap action plan'.
"Eight ways to understand your gender pay gap" sets out eight questions as follows:
- Do people get "stuck" at certain levels within your organisation?
- Is there a gender imbalance in your promotions?
- Are women more likely to be recruited into lower paid roles in your organisation?
- Do men and women leave your organisation at different rates?
- Do particular aspects of pay vary by gender?
- Do men and women receive different performance scores on average?
- Are you doing all you can to support part-time employees to progress?
- Are you supporting both men and women to take on caring responsibilities?
"Four steps to developing a gender pay gap action plan" stresses the importance of analysing the data and coming up with an action plan to combat inequalities; consulting with senior staff to ensure that they understand any proposed gender pay gap action plans to gain their full support; integrating the action plan into the everyday running of the business; and allowing enough time to embed the action plan.
This article is taken from HR Law - March 2019.