Geoff Allen is a partner in the International Corporate Department and Head of the Corporate and Commercial team of Trowers & Hamlins LLP's office in Kuala Lumpur.
During the first part of his career, Geoff worked for a top 10 law firm in the UK and Saudi Arabia where he advised on a broad spectrum of international M&A transactions before moving in-house with Arabtec Holding PJSC, a leading UAE contractor company, where he became Group General Counsel and Board Secretary. Geoff left the UAE in May 2020 to return to the UK and was engaged as a Senior Legal Consultant for Centrica plc, a leading UK energy supplier, until relocating to join Trowers & Hamlins in Kuala Lumpur in June 2022.
Geoff’s corporate M&A expertise focusses on acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, cross-border investments, corporate restructuring and board and governance related issues together with general corporate advisory. Whilst in-house, Geoff has developed strong business acumen and commercial skills together with a hands-on perspective on the construction industry overseeing major social and economic infrastructure projects in the Middle East, North Africa, Asia and the CIS.
More recently, Geoff has gained experience in the energy sector primarily in respect of energy supply to homes and businesses, climate technologies for the net-zero transition and the strategic disposal of upstream oil and gas operations.
Geoff’s recent corporate and commercial experience includes:
- USD 1.1 billion divestment of Sprit Energy’s Norwegian Continental Shelf oil and gas exploration and production business. Centrica owned a majority stake in Spirit Energy through its joint venture with Stadwerke München Group (Munich Municipality Authority).
- Disposal for Centrica of Peterborough Power Station and related property interests to Rockland Capital.
- Acquisition for Centrica of UK energy supplier Nabuh Energy in line with corporate strategy to expand the British Gas New Energy Platforms business.
- Acquisition for Centrica of a minority stake in HiiROC, a hydrogen production technology company.
- Recapitalisation Programme for Arabtec, raising USD408 million through rights issue and capital reduction to strengthen Group’s financial position and related USD109 million shareholder loan from Mubadala Group and security package.
- Joint venture with Samsung to focus on winning higher margin contracts in oil & gas sector.
- Strategic Partnership with ENSEK, the leading global retail energy software provider, which will see British Gas Energy transfer more than seven million energy supply customers to a simpler, digital first platform.
- Divestment of Arabtec’s leasehold interest in 92 storey World Trade Centre, Abu Dhabi to ADNOC and associated corporate office lease at International Petroleum Investment Company.
- Supporting Government to Government negotiations to agree final accounts relating to Arabtec’s joint venture with Saudi Binladin Group (Saudi Arabia National Guard Modernization Program, King Abdulaziz International Airport, Jeddah).
- Introduced Standardised Framework Agreement terms for Group-wide procurement of personal protective equipment, site security services, transport and drivers, diesel purchasing.
Construction & Infrastructure Projects
- Louvre Abu Dhabi Museum, Saadiyat Cultural District, Abu Dhabi (USD735 million).
- UAE Pavilion, Public Realms, Concourses and Arrival Plazas for Expo 2020 (USD227 million).
- Midfield Terminal Building for Etihad Airways at Abu Dhabi International Airport - the largest single building to be rated by Estidama globally (USD5 billion).
- Abu Dhabi Plaza, mixed-use development, Astana, Kazakhstan (USD1.4 billion).
- Gas Development Expansion for ADNOC LNG's Das Island Gas Field, Abu Dhabi (USD861 million).
In 2019, Geoff was recognised by The Legal 500 GC Powerlist as a leading GC in the Middle East and North Africa.
Professional Qualifications and Education
2022 Certified Registered Foreign Lawyer, Bar Council of Malaysia.
2017 Hawkamah Institute Certified Board Secretary, United Arab Emirates.
2005 Admitted as a Solicitor to the Senior Courts of England and Wales.
2003 University of Law (previously College of Law), Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice;
2001 University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (LLB Hons) Upper Second-Class Honours.