Local government matters newsletter – July 2021
After the period of pre-legislative scrutiny the Government is pressing full steam ahead with the Building Safety Bill. It had its second reading on 21st July. A more consequential piece of legislation, both in terms of its impact on communities and its impacts on all facets of the residential built environment, is difficult to identify.
In this edition of Local Government Matters we have included a very useful summary of the Bill and a thoughtful (and sometimes challenging) article from our Head of Procurement and lead on Building Safety, Rebecca Rees.
This edition also includes a series of useful insight pieces into the Subsidy Control Bill, an article from Helen Randall on the lessons to be learned from recent high profile governance failures in local authority controlled companies and more. We hope you enjoy your summer.
Click the links below to access the full articles.
- Latest interview on the Bridging the Divide Series
- The Building Safety Bill 2021: a summary guide
- Rebecca Rees' article on the Building Safety Bill as featured in the Estate's Gazette
- Subsidy Control bill – overview
- Subsidy Control Bill: the Competition and Market Authority's new role
- Subsidy Control Bill – services of public economic interest (SPEI)
- Don’t let council-owned companies spin out of control
- PPN 7/21: Update to legal and policy requirements to publish procurement information on Contracts Finder
- Webinar: how the public view investment in places and the role of local government