Local Government Matters Newsletter December 2020
This is our final Local Government Matters newsletter for 2020 and it's packed full of festive treats.
Our Local Government Conference this month was a fully virtual one and what we lacked in networking we made up for with content. If you were unable to join us we have attached separate links to all of the six different sessions so you can watch them at your leisure over the holiday period. They aren't featured in the Radio Times top festive watches, but we give them five stars.
In this edition we have features on the new government guidance on the operation of the HRA ring-fence, the Social Housing White Paper, new PWLB borrowing guidance and Social Value in procurement amongst other things.
In our April launch edition we commented on how proud we were as a firm to work in the Local Government sector. The sector has faced the most challenging circumstances imaginable yet has risen, time and again, to face and, wherever possible, overcome those challenges. We have included a Festive Wish section in this month's edition where members of the team set out their wish for the next year. All of us at Trowers & Hamlins echo Helen Randall's wish.
"After the most challenging year ever for local government, I wish everyone a safe and peaceful break and an easier 2021-you should all be very proud of yourselves as local government has quite literally helped keep communities alive!"
Click the links below to access the full articles.
- Highlights and videos from our first Local government in focus – mini-conference
- Trowers talks podcast: resilience and recovery within local government - priorities for infrastructure and development activity in the public sector, place-making and town centre regeneration with Copper Consultancy
- Race to the bottom - Rebecca Rees and Scott Dorling look at potential solutions to some of the significant issues facing the social and affordable housing sector
- HRA Ring-fence Guidance
- The Charter for Social Housing Residents: Social Housing White Paper - at first glance
- Gigafactories: a key to unlocking growth and a greener world
- Procurement Policy Note 06/20: Taking account of social value in the award of central government contracts
- Trowers talks podcast: London Borough of Sutton bond. Neil Waller talks to Maria Goroh of Centrus, who arranged the bond, about its key features and why this transaction may be of interest to other local authorities
- Writing for Social Housing Magazine, Paul McDermott and Neil Waller discuss the long-awaiting response to the Government's consultation on the future use of the Public Works Loan Board (PWLB)
To read the full festive edition click here.