Acas issues new guidance on religion and faith
Acas has issued new guidance on religion and belief. It gives an explanation of the law and contains practical guidance on a number of issues including:
- Talking about religion at work
- Food and fasting
- Washing and changing room
The guidance highlights recruitment as a key area where employers should take care to ensure they avoid discrimination, especially related to:
- Job adverts should be publicised widely and it is almost always better if employers don't mention religion in the posting
- Training and development opportunities that help employees gain promotions should be organised so employees don't miss out due to religious observance
- Opportunities for promotions where it will be discriminatory for an employer to discourage an employee from taking a promotion because of their religion
Acas has also published a "top ten myths" factsheet on religion or belief discrimination.
This article is taken from HR Law - June 2018.