Trowers & Hamlins

Sign up

Home » Legal Services » Practice Areas » Private Wealth » Court of Protection

Court of Protection

Court of Protection

A team of tax and estate planning specialists who concentrate on advising individuals, families and trustees both in the UK and internationally

If an individual loses the ability to manage their affairs without having a power of attorney in place then an individual may need to apply to the Court of Protection on their behalf to help manage their assets and make key financial decisions for them.

Even if a power of attorney is in place, permission of the Court of Protection may be required to make gifts, create a statutory will or enter into inheritance tax planning.

We can also assist in situations where families, LPAs or deputies disagree about what is in the best interests of a loved one who lacks capacity, whether in relation to their health and welfare and / or property and financial affairs.  We can help facilitate an agreement which is in the best interests of the protected party and if necessary, assist with an application to the COP.

Key contacts